School of Computer Science and Engineering
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Edmond Safra Campus, Givat Ram, Ross 81
phone: +972-2-549-4560 (office)
+1-617-331-3698 (mobile, in US only)
+1-617-4015837 (mobile Android, US only)
- Design of information appliances
- Connections between complexity and statistical physics
- Distributed computing on networks
- How will "born digital" material be accessed and managed in the libraries of the future?
CV and Publications list in .pdf or ps format.
Between paper and pitch (article for History of XX-th Century Science, Encyclopedia Treccani, Roma, 2003)
- Determining Computational Complexity from Characteristic Phase Transitions,
R. Monasson, R. Zecchina, S. Kirkpatrick, B. Selman, and L. Troyansky, Nature 400, 133 (1999).
- 2+p-SAT: Relation of Typical-Case Complexity to the Nature of the Phase Transition,
Random Structures and Algorithms, 15, 414-435 (1999).
- Percolation in Dense Storage Arrays,
S. Kirkpatrick, W. Wilcke, R. Garner and H. Huels, presented at the Messina Symposium, "Horizons in Complex Systems," Dec 2001, and Physica A314 220-229 (2002).
- E-Play, Claudia V. Goldman and Scott Kirkpatrick, to appear in "Proceedings of the International Conference on Multimedia", Lausanne, Switzerland, August 2002 (published by IEEE).
Rough Times Ahead
Scott Kirkpatrick, Perspective in Science 299 668-9 (2003).
- "How Smart Does an Agent Need to Be,"
Scott Kirkpatrick and Johannes J. Schneider, to appear in Int'l Journal of Physics (2004).
- "Passwords you Can't Recall, but will Never Forget,"
Daphna Weinshall and Scott Kirkpatrick, a Late-Breaking Development paper at CHI2004, Vienna, Austria (April 2004).
Comparing Beliefs, Surveys, and Random Walks"
Erik Aurell, Uri Gordon, and Scott Kirkpatrick (Cond-Mat 0406217 9 June 2004)
to appear in NIPS 2005
- Selfish vs. Unselfish Optimization of Network Creation,
Johannes J. Schneider and S. Kirkpatrick, J. Stat. Mech., P08007, 2005
- "Room User Interface(RUI) Design for Laser Based Interaction," Amnon Dekel and Scott Kirkpatrick, submitted to CHI 2005.
- The Friendly Classroom,
Amnon Dekel, Eyal Bagon, and Scott Kirkpatrick, submitted to Pervasive 2005.
- "Medusa -- New Model of Internet Topology Using k-shell Decomposition,"
Shai Carmi, Shlomo Havlin, Scott Kirkpatrick, Yuval Shavitt, and Eran Shir.
cond-mat/0601240. Shortened and submitted, see cond-mat/0607080. Appeared in
PNAS Vol 104, No. 27, 11150-11154 July 3, 2007.
- "Future Internet: Fundamentals and Measurement,"
Thrasyvoulous Spyropoulous, Serge Fdida, and Scott Kirkpatrick,
to appear in CCR. Report of the COST/Arcadia Future Internet Workshop at CoNEXT,
Lisbon, Portugal, Dec 4, 2006.
- "Everlab -- A production platform for Research in Network Experimentation and Computation,"
Elliot Jaffe, Danny Bickson, and Scott Kirkpatrick, to appear in USENIX 2007.
- "Architecture of the Internet Archive,"
Elliot Jaffe and Scott Kirkpatrick, to appear in SYSTOR 2009.
- "Social Networks and Spin Glasses,"
S. Kirkpatrick, A. Kulakovsky, M. Cebrian and A. Pentland, Phil Mag, 92, pp. 362-377, Jan 2012.
- "Stochastic Optimization," Johannes J. Schneider and Scott Kirkpatrick, a
Springer Monograph in Physics,
Tech Reports and work from the group
- Summary talk from Wireless and Mobile Computing Systems symposium, Monterey CA, Dec 2000.
- K-Core Analysis of Random Networks A. Shalit, S. Kirkpatrick and S. Solomon, poster presented at "Aspects of Complexity and Its Applications," Rome Sept. 2002.
- Report on DARPA project in distributed stochastic optimization. Nashville, TN June 27, 2002, with updates
For movies of the application (in simulation) you can view
the biggest example anyone has solved to date, or the
whole set of movies
on which our analysis is based (roughly 2MB each).
- "Information Technology in an expanding universe" -- talk given at conference on Complexity and its Applications, Rome September 2002.
- "From Scale-Free Networks to Avogadro-Scale Engineering," -- talk given to a general audience at Complexity Symposium, London School of Economics, March 25, 2004.
- "Comparing Beliefs, Surveys, and Random Walks," talk given at optimization algorithms workshop, Institut Henri Poincare, Paris, June 17, 2004.
- "Jellyfish and other interesting Creatures of the Internet,",
talk given at Bar Ilan conference on Complex Systems, 14 April, 2005.
Material added for presentation at ICTP (Trieste) workshop, May 25, 2005,
at ICSI (Berkeley, CA) August 10, 2005, and at TAU colloquium, November 6, 2005.
- Estimating Power Consumption on my Olympus E-1 short talk in Embedded Computing seminar course.
- Some thoughts on message-passing and Sudoku.
- Smags, Firgels, and Queels -- a discussion of new product introduction, as exemplified in the Leica M8.
- The Internet's Physical Topology," lecture at the Windberg Summer School, Germany, Oct 2007.
Back to CS HUJI Home Page